Most break and enters are crimes of opportunity. But if you are fortunate to be wealthy and you draw a lot of attention, you may become the target of skilled and determined criminals. An Australian Government Study found that the #1 reason that attracted burglars to properties, was the perceived likelihood of finding high-value goods inside. Here are some tips to reduce your chances of becoming a target:
- Unload appliances, electronics etc… inside your garage.
- Don’t leave blinds wide open for criminals to see your valuables, especially at night.
- Avoid keeping large sums of cash & jewelry at home.
- Don’t flaunt wealth in public like flashing large sums of cash. This may attract people to follow & target you.
- Don’t stand out in your neighbourhood, stay within typical embellishments.
- Think like a burglar or violent criminal. What would they want & like? Then conceal it.
- Be careful with your garbage. Flatten expensive item boxes and bury them in the trash or take them to a public dumpster and shred your bills and statements.
- If you have an expensive car, keep it in the garage.